CERN BE-CO-HT Contribution to KiCad¶
This project has been set up to facilitate the contribution of CERN's BE-CO-HT section to the KiCad Printed Circuit Board design tool development. KiCad is a Free/Libre Open Source Software Tool which runs on GNU/Linux, Windows and Apple OS X. It is licensed under the GPL license.
The objective of this project is to help enhance KiCad in such a way that it becomes an efficient tool for PCB design which people can use to share their design information without compromising productivity. We do this in close collaboration with the main KiCad developers.
We think that KiCad can do to PCB design what the gcc compiler did to software: ensure there are no artificial barriers to sharing so that design and development knowledge can flow more freely.
This contribution is part of our efforts in Open Source Hardware. We describe our planned tasks and their progress using a list of work packages. Contributions to KiCad will happen through the KiCad developers mailing list, in the standard ways defined by the main KiCad developers. If you are a student and would like to help us, have a look at the student projects page.
KiCad PCB layout snapshot
Detailed project information¶
- Official KiCad website
- KiCad Developer's road map
- Work packages
- Projects for students
- KiCad designs on ohwr.org
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Free PCB ECAD: The Ultimate list (Apr.2016)
- KiCad 4.0 is Released (Nov.2015)
- KiCAD now with differential pair routing and trace length matching (Mar.2015)
- KiCad challenges the big ones CERN Bulletin News (Feb.2015)
- CERN Shows Off New KiCad Module Editor (July 2014)
- KiCad's got a new interactive router! (June 2014)
- CERN supports KiCad development Dangerous Prototypes (Apr.2013)
- EEVblog Electronics Community Forum - CERN's contribution to KiCAD (Oct.2013)
- KiCad: CERN's Contribution to Free/Open PCB Design, EETimes (Nov.2013)
- The Amp Hour (starting at minute 12) Chris Gammell and Dave Jones briefly discuss CERN's developments for KiCad (Dec.2013)
- Videos from CERN
- SPICE simulation integrated in KiCad (proposal, July 2016)
- Kicad - Differential pair routing and trace length matching (March 2015)
- KiCad Module Editor upgrade (June 2014)
- KiCad Interactive Router - release version (May 2014)
- KiCad push-and-shove routing Youtube (Sept.2013)
- Javier Serrano. Project leader. See also the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Maciej Sumiński. Developer.
- Tomasz Włostowski. Developer.
|11-04-2013||Project announced in the KiCad developers mailing list.|
|11-04-2013||Maciej Sumiński submits a preliminary version of the View component to the KiCad developers list.|
|09-07-2013||Maciej Sumiński submits a second release of the View component for testing purposes.|
|02-08-2013||Tomasz Włostowski submits the Tool Framework technical description.|
|28-08-2013||The View component is available to run & build on the 3 major platforms (Linux, Windows & Mac OS X).|
|19-09-2013||Tomasz Włostowski publishes source code of the first version of the Push&Shove router.|
|30-10-2013||The CERN testing branch (Graphics Abstraction Layer, Tool Framework and Push&Shove router) is merged to the KiCad master branch.|
|25-11-2013||Ratsnest for the Graphics Abstraction Layer is released for testing.|
|19-12-2013||The Selection Tool improvements, part 1.|
|07-02-2014||The Selection Tool improvements, part 2.|
|08-03-2014||The branch containing drawing tools for the GAL is released for testing.|
|14-05-2014||Tomasz Włostowski releases a new version of the Interactive Push and Shove router. It is already merged in the official product branch.|
|26-06-2014||Module editor upgrade is released for testing.|
|18-09-2014||Tomasz Włostowski starts working on the Push and Shove router improvements: track length tuning tool & differential pair router.|
|09-03-2015||Tomasz Włostowski published Kicad - Differential pair routing and trace length matching.|
|12-09-2015||As a part of preparations for stable release, RC1 version was published.|
|08-11-2015||RC2 version is available for testing.|
|29-11-2015||KiCad 4.0.0 stable is released.|
|28-02-2016||KiCad 4.0.2 stable is released.|
|14-04-2016||OpenGL canvas renders text using bitmap fonts|
17 June 2016